Thursday, May 11, 2006

Nurture love and care for animals in youths - Lai Danting


11 May 2006

I am an early childhood educator.

After reading articles about animal abuse, I had cut them out and held discussions with the children under my charge.

I found that a number of them had actually witnessed cases of people kicking cats, poking cats with twigs and ? the worst ? using a fire sparkler to burn a hole through the cat's ear.

I asked them why they didn't intervene to stop the criminals. But I overlooked the fact that they are just five-year-olds ? what can I expect them to do, when even adults are unwilling to act?

To educate the younger generation, we must first educate the older ones who are able to understand, take direct action against abusers, protect the animals and make a difference.

We can be the voices of animals, but is anyone listening to what we are saying?

Is anyone going to join forces with us to take action against animal abusers and murderers?

Animal abuse is not just socially unacceptable, it reflects a lack of respect for life itself.

No comments: