Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Sugar has the fever

Sugar the "King" was nowhere to be found last Sunday, which made my neighbour, auntie A very worried. When my phone rang at past 11pm on Sunday, I knew straight-away who the caller would be and the probable reason for the call. It wasn't the first time that A had called me at past 11pm, looking for "lost" community cats that in most cases, had roamed off to some other places.

A's son told her that he'd seen Sugar lying down at a quiet corner. When A found Sugar, she was startled by his eyes which didn't look good, and called me again to go look at him immediately. I was just about to go to bed then.

Jon-Jon & Sugar who are the best of pals - both were abandoned when their ex-owners moved away

Sugar looked really sluggish and hardly moved when he saw us. Despite being sick, he continued to purr sweetly when I stroked him while A went home to take the pet carrier. A took him home for the night with the intention of taking him to the vet the next morning.

At A's home, there are 2 Jack Russell Terriers - one belongs to A while the other, an almost blind JRT (due to cataracts) belongs to A's friend. A is looking after this dog as her friend currently needs to receive long-term medical care. The blind JRT didn't welcome Sugar's presence at home and felt uneasy.


Yesterday, Sugar went to the vet and was diagnosed as having fever. Sugar was warded for observation and given antibiotics. As the hospitalisation cost is expensive, A told me that she was advised to house Sugar at home so as to continue the antibiotics treatment. I immediately offered to house Sugar at my home when he is discharged, so that he can be nursed back to health in a peaceful environment (with no yapping dogs).

Both my hubby and I adore Sugar, as he is one of the sweetest and most tolerant cats (only to humans though). I hope Sugar will feel comfortable with us at home too.

4 comments:

cat_aunty said...

How kind of you to offer to look after Sugar, in a more peaceful enviroment. Is he OK now?

auntie p said...

Mary, thanks for your faith. :)

Cat aunty, it will be our pleasure to have Sugar at home. Sugar will have to tolerate my hubby who cannot resist carrying him (Sugar).

He's still at the vet. I may drop by to see him this evening if he's not discharged by then.

auntie p said...

I visited Sugar this evening, so did my neighbour A (earlier). The poor boy has bad cat flu, and was isolated in the emergency ward, all alone, and is not eating. They have to put him on drip sometimes.
His temperature is normal, and the nose discharge and salivating has gradually lessened or stopped.

He is usually very quiet, but this evening, he kept calling whenever I called his name and talked to him from a distance (I wasn't allowed to get too close). I think he is very miserable in the cage. Sigh... :-(

auntie p said...

Hi Mary, Sugar has been with us for the past couple of days & nights. He refused to eat at the vet, so the vet thought it may help to bring him home. True enough, he now eats a lot since leaving the vet. :)

He's much better now although I'll have to continue the antibiotics. We let him hang out at his usual community for a few hours everyday to get some fresh air and see his pal, Jon-Jon.

Thanks for asking about Sugar. :)