Sunday, December 03, 2006

The mysterious empty water bowls

Ms A (my neighbour) has gone on vacation and got her acquaintance to help feed a handful of the community cats in the neighbouring two blocks. However, I sometimes find empty water bowls on my evening rounds, so I've been topping up their water bowls at these blocks regularly, at least once a day.

Lately, I'm beginning to suspect that someone who dislikes the cats' presence has been emptying their water bowls. I had come across at least two instances of toppled water bowls within a span of 2 or 3 days. It couldn't have been the wind, since I'd filled the bowls to almost the rim (so they're heavy), and the bowls are sheltered by the columns/walls. The latest incident happened yesterday afternoon, about 5 hours after I had filled up the water bowl with fresh water (in the morning).

I'm sure it wasn't any of the cleaners, since they have always left the cats and water bowls alone. These recent occurrences are quite annoying. I just hope the cats will remain safe.

4 comments:

jennifer_yq said...

how abt placing it under bushes? one of the feeder in my area hide all the dry food and water under the thick bushes.. i thought it is a good idea as no one will ever go into the bushes and bend down...

jennifer_yq said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
KXBC said...

I am hesitant to leave water out for them. I am not sure whether cat haters will poison the water or not.

So to be safe, I will only give them water whenever I feed them. My cats at home drink only once or twice a day (but a lot each time) so I think that is still feasible. They will have to find another water source before the next feeding.

san said...

I usually feed them canned food as it contains alot of water. In this way, I hope the kitties won't feel so thirsty. The old aunty (whom I am helping) usually sets up the water bowls. Thank goodness no one has done that to our bowls yet.