Monday, February 27, 2006

LTA: Pets on trains, buses can upset commuters

FROM TODAY 27 FEB '06

Pets on trains, buses can upset commuters

Letter from LYNN ONG
Deputy Manager, Media Relations
Land Transport Authority


I refer to Mr Francis Lee's letter "This Dog Year, consider this thought ... " (Feb 21).

Some commuters may be afraid of or be allergic to animals. Others may be concerned that some animals are potential carriers of infectious diseases, especially in a confined and crowded place such as a bus or MRT train.

There are also commuters who may not want or feel uncomfortable travelling with certain animals for religious reasons. For these reasons animals and pets are not allowed on our public transport system.

However, public bus drivers have at times exercised their judgment to allow passengers with a pet in a carrier or cage to board public buses.

I thank your reader for his feedback and the opportunity to clarify.

We also welcome readers to call 1800-CALL LTA (1800-2255 582) if they have any feedback or suggestions.


FROM TODAY 21 FEB '06

This Dog Year, consider this thought ...

Letter from Francis Lee

I own two small dogs and like many dog owners, I love to take them out to the parks and even to Sentosa. However, without a car, I am often forced to take taxis which are costly and frustrating.

I have lost track of the number of times empty taxis have driven past me when they see that I have dogs accompanying me. I'm sure I am not the only pet owner who has faced this kind of discrimination.

Instead of putting myself through the indignity of being refused rides on taxis, I would like to ask the Land Transport Authority to allow small pets who are caged (or carried in dog carriers) on public transportation.

I am more than willing to pay higher fares so as to travel with my pets.

Small dogs in carriers pose no danger to passengers. In addition, they will also not dirty public amenities as they are secured in their carrier, hence there are no problems of cleaning up urine or even dog poo. Furthermore, when small dogs bark, they are no louder than screaming babies and children on buses and trains. They also do not pose a nuisance.

In this Year of the Dog, I urge the authorities to at least consider the idea and not dismiss it immediately.

2 comments:

Cat said...

What an irony .. especially the part where animals are potential carriers of infectious disease .. what abt inconsiderate humans who sneeze and cough without covering their mouths in public places, buses & the MRT? Shouldn't they be banned as well then???

Anonymous said...

According to LTA's logic: yes, ban the diseased humans too! Hahaha!