Tuesday, June 13, 2006

We interrupt your usual routine to bring you...

...some cat-xcitement.

With the dumping and abandonment of several cats around my block by unknown irresponsible people, the ambience of our once peaceful neighbourhood has changed recently. The introduction of these new cats has, inevitably, heightened the territorial instincts of the resident male cats, and disturbed the peaceful co-existence of both community cats and human dwellers.

As a result, almost everyday, residents around my block are bombarded with the unwelcome noise of cats arguing, which very often, happens in the wee hours - either just past midnight or between 4am to 7am. I've also found myself having to "mediate" between quarrelling cats three times in a row, and at times, looking like a mad woman who had nothing better to do than trying to chase the trouble-causing male cat away.

Sometimes, the arguments seemed to carry on intermittently for hours throughout the night, further disturbing the peaceful rest desired by the non-nocturnal two-legged residents. One rather wet morning, we were even greeted by the rare sight of two screaming cats sitting high up in a tree, with one male cat trying to chase the other (Tortie cat) away, which for me meant further delay in getting to work!

I wonder, can I ever tell my boss, that I was late for work because I had to break up catfights and coax a couple of highly-strung cats down a tree? My boss will probably think: "That's a really new one, ha ha!".

3 comments:

Singapore Community Cat said...

Sometimes I wonder if too successful a TnR would reduce the tolerance level for noise from cat fight such as in this instance from new abandonees.
In my estate, the appearance of 4 kittens from the last most difficult to trap female suddenly make the carpark so "messy"!

san said...

Woah. I hope none of the residents will be up in arms.

auntie p said...

At this rate, I won't be surprised if one day the TC or AVA personnel shows up to round up the cats. I was just talking to my hubby this morning which cats he would like to claim back from AVA. *roll eyes*

There are a few very sweet community cats that residents have come to like/love, although these cats may not necessarily be sweet to other cats, hence the fighting with new cats. :-(