Friday, December 29, 2006

Why you feed cats and not feed people?

I couldn't find Timmy at her usual place last night, so went over to the opposite block to ask the mid-life uncle who mans the small provision store. I thought he's quite alright with community cats, since a Siamese-cross used to sleep around his store in the past and he didn't make a fuss. Upon finding out that I feed Timmy, he said some things to me:

Why you feed cats and not feed "ren", i.e. people in Mandarin?
(After which, he gave a "certain look", eyes look downwards, gave a soft sigh cum slight shake of his head) .

The cats here are so "hao ming", i.e. having a good life.

Well, if the community cats are indeed having a good life, then they would not have to run away to hide whenever they see certain kids and adults nearby. They would also not have to hide among the bicycles in the cold, wet, windy and misty void deck because it's night time and they are really hungry for food (to wait for feeders).

He's a nice, friendly uncle, so I told him nicely, the things that came to my mind:
* I feed the community cats because no one cares for them
* What we give to them is just a tiny bit of our love/concern/compassion
* We, as human beings, cannot begrudge them that little bit of food/concern shown to them.

Sad to say, the uncle's view is quite widespread among the general population. My poor MIL always have to kena such disdainful looks from the folks in her estate.

How would you deal with such a question? What would you tell these folks?

7 comments:

KXBC said...

I will say "There are so many charities looking after the old, destitute, helpless etc, so I will expand my efforts on 4-legged creatures who are harassed by the 2-leggeds and try to make their life a little better. And 4-leggeds are more grateful than 2-leggeds when you help them."

Anonymous said...

this mid-life uncle is one of the many reasons why i avoid humans :D seriously, whenever anyone makes such callous statements about cats, i reply, "may god bless you with kindness and compassion". and i guarantee most of them will ponder that statement 'cos the blur look on their faces says it all :)

and if you analyse their unreasonable remarks, they are actually trying to provoke us. in other words, they are having really pitiful sad lives such that the mere witnessing of our compassion irks them to no end.

san said...

I usually tell them that if no one cares for the cats then they would die and what is the use of me living in the world if I can't help the cats as they can't ask for help. Once The man told me not to waste my money to get Megat to the vet to neuter him as it was expensive. I told him I have a responsibilty and I do not see it as a waste of my time or money. Also if I don't do this I don't have any right to teach others to be kind and compassionate to all. You must act as well as advocate.

Cat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cat said...

I would say to him "Uncle, you have your cause & I have mine. Who is to say whose cause nobler or better as long as our motivation to help is genuine? So does it matter if the subject of our help is a human or an animal?"

auntie p said...

Thanks to all for sharing your insights!

My favourite is the one from letter b...wahahaha ! Sure to cause these folks to scratch their heads....either that or they will think we're crazy. ;)

Singapore Community Cat said...

I like what Auntie P did. Explained with gentleness. But don't expect a miraculous change in the other person's attitude that has been formed by years of his perception of what is the meaning of life. Many people flow down the main stream of thinking that life is about getting good grades, finding a partner, having children and then being taken cared of by the children. To think beyond the conditioned mentality is swimming upstream. Give yourself a pat on the back that you are different, that you dare to be different, that you dare to do the things that your inner voice tells you that it is the right thing to do.
Keep the smile on, outwardly and inwardly.
To fill the stomach of a mere cats is not for the "ordinary" person.
You are extra-ordinary and rejoice on that.