Thursday, April 10, 2008

Plight of abandoned & unsterilised cats - TNP

The Electric New Paper, 9 April 2008

Plight of abandoned & unsterilised cats

ON Friday morning, as I was walking towards the clinic where I work, I spotted a tiny black kitten, small enough to sit in the palm of my hand.

It was skinny, hungry and so thirsty that it was lapping up water that flowed out from the washing of a rubbish chute.

I noticed an inflamed backside. The kitten was trusting enough to let me pick it up so that I could examine its anal region.

To my horror, the anus was almost completely covered with tiny maggots!

The few cats seen regularly in the vicinity of the clinic are all sterilised, as indicated by a small surgical cut on the tip of the left ear.

This meant the kitten was almost certainly abandoned by an irresponsible cat owner.

It would have been slowly eaten alive by the maggots if I had not seen it then.

The kitten was subsequently handed over to a friend, who is taking it to the vet and seeing to its re-homing.

Abandoned cats and kittens often suffer terribly. I strongly appeal to all cat owners to sterilise their cats.

I suggest that the town councils and the Housing Development Board work with organisations such as the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and the Cat Welfare Society to formulate effective grassroots methods to bring the message of sterilisation to owners of cats.

These methods can include posters, offer of subsidised sterilisation to poor families, and organisation of ‘cat parties’ to inform and educate cat owners.

Dr Tan Chek Wee

No comments: